Tuesday, January 11, 2011

If first impressions are as important as I think...I'm already screwed.

     There is no easy way to start a blog.  Call this a cop out to having not been clever enough to actually create a real introduction if you must, but trust me when I tell you that I have considered this from many angles and none provide you, the reader, with an adequate explanation of how your world is about to change for having clicked on this link.  Alright, in the interest of full disclosure, your world will probably not considerably change nor will this simple blog constructed by a simple man do much to rock your very existence.  For those of you looking for some life altering affirmation, please exit quietly to the left.  However, for those of you who share a passion for random everyday musings, movies and far too much attention to detail, welcome to the show.
     For the few of you who do not know, and I am assuming there are only 3 to 4 of you because only someone who knows me would do the kindness of reading this drivel, my name is John.  I am a twenty something freelance idea man and a soon to be a journalism major at Kent State University.  Since it has been five or six years since I wrote anything longer than 160 characters that was not liberally sprinkled with emoticons (... :-) last one I swear), I figured creating a blog would be good practice for getting back into the habit of writing without having to buy and commit to a diary. 
     
      First of all, when anyone brings the notion of a diary to mind I either immediately think of a 12 year old girl laying on her bed making love notes in the margins of a pink leather-bound book or one of the founding fathers sitting by candlelight describing their motivations for establishing the principles of democracy.  Now whilst I may have the same cinematic tastes of some of the more mature preteens (come on people you know Harry Potter is fucking awesome) and much of the brilliance of Benjamin Franklin (except that he had pretty aggressive syphilis, just Ben...not me...really!) the idea of a diary/journal puts me off.  Also, I may just be narcissistic enough to believe that everyone should be privy to my thoughts, feelings and opinions.  Therefore this will be my grand contribution to society.  You hear that society?!  I don't pay taxes and I don't do community service so this is all you'll get from me!  So with our introductions out of the way maybe it’s time to move on to the content you can expect from yours truly.
     Do not let the movie star-esque good looks fool you, behind this chiseled Polish chin lies the brain of an unapologetic nerd.  As is, my knowledge as a functioning adult is mostly regulated to movies, comics, random pop culture information and miscellaneous arguments provided by my peers.  I provide myself to the public as an authority on all things cinematic and comic book related for people that are most likely already jaded by the overexposure of said cross-overs.  So be prepared for more information you already don't care about! 
   
      Regarding unusual and different arguments and their content, how many of us have wished that there was an impartial source to debate the merits of crunchy versus creamy peanut butter?  How often has the general public remained in a state of undue tension waiting for the answer to which is more festive, white or multicolored Christmas lights?  The answer, or at the very least a somewhat humorous (likely only in my own opinion) perspective on, will be available in this blog and this blog only!  This is less a formal commentary on any one subject and more a half-assed attempt to explore all things that make the day to day more important to everyone. 
    
     I personally find that when asking someone a question about their more "sacred" views such as religion or politics you'll get a rather ambiguous answer.  "Oh yeah I like so and so but my real beliefs are...blah blah blah".  However, ask a complete stranger if they prefer Coke or Pepsi and you may find yourself receiving a very visceral and personalized answer.  Something about the mundane details of everyday life empower those who hold them dear, and those are the passionate arguments I want to bring to the forefront of your consciousness.  Nothing is more fun to debate then mostly irrelevant personal choices! 
    
     As for other consistent material?  I believe in a community type forum to find my inspiration.  Yes its lazy but if I had my way every blog would be about some ridiculously nerdy endeavor and I have yet to crawl into that "basement blogger" mentality. 
    
     That brings no ill will toward basement bloggers who I'm sure I share more than a few common threads with...except that I'm writing this in a living room and have a girlfriend! Sucks to be you weirdoes!  So please do not hesitate to email me with any and all suggestions.  Want to see how proficient I am at recalling and imparting my views on terrible movies?  Ask about that.  Want to humiliate me by asking me to dissect the most basic of junior high algebra equations?  Inquire within! 
     So in closing, thanks for sticking around for the conclusion paragraph!  If you enjoy my shtick, send messages to the Plain Dealer's film critic Clint O'Conner to give me an internship.  For the record Clint, I have no qualms with being referred to as Boy Wonder and will *sigh* see whatever God awful flicks Martin Lawrence, Nick Cage, Eddie Murphy, etc etc put out so you don't have to. 
    
     On the other hand, if you find yourself completely repulsed by my writing style and overall point of view...jokes on you I already get credit on my counter for you reading this! 
    
     Also just be grateful that this is all I have to offer the internet.  Sure I could squeeze into some tights and record backyard wrestling moves under the pseudonym el Matador or create full length re-enactments of Law & Order episodes with myself playing the Brisco character but my academic counselors believe that does not qualify as working toward being a professional writer. Go Figure. Well that is neither here nor there since I will be saving both of those concepts until sweeps week anyways.
    
     Finally for all those in between, welcome to my blog!  Or as I imagine Newsweek will be referring to it soon enough as "The inner workings of a handsome, brilliant and incredibly humble genius."

No comments:

Post a Comment